NYSWYSA Background Information Notices
Now that we have established an automatic link between the RosterPro program and the company that does our background checks, the process will be a little different from what we have used up until this point. Here is an outline of what the new process is:
- The club enters the adult information for new adults in RosterPro.
- In the adult pool file all adults with currently valid Risk Management(RM) passes are listed in white. Any new persons entered or those with passes that have expired are in yellow. Next to each name in yellow there is a box (RM Email) - click on this for each person you want to be submitted for a background check and then click on the "Send RM Emails" at the bottom of the page. (NOTE: It is vitally important that all have an accurate email address). Clubs will be billed for payment on the regular monthly invoice as they register adults.
- Step 2 above will now generate an email message to each individual for whom you wish to have a RM pass, asking the individual to log on to a secure site with password provided in the e-mail they receive to enter SSN and any other missing info needed to do the background search and submit that info electronically to the NYW office. NO LONGER will a paper copy be required to be sent to the state office.
- When the encrypted electronic entry is submitted, it is electronically checked to make sure that all the required information has been enter in proper format. If that is not the case, the office will receive a notice that there is ’missing data.’ In such cases another email will be sent asking the applicant to review their entry and supply any missing data. When ALL required data is submitted, the entry is then securely submitted to Volunteer Select/Choice Point, ( now a Lexus Nexus Company) for the background check.
- Once a satisfactory search result is back, an RM pass will be printed and mailed to the club representative, and the adult is released in the system so that they will be able to be printed on rosters.
- NOTE: These RM passes will not contain a registration ID #,but there is no way a person can be issued a pass or appear on an official NYSW team roster without first having cleared our background check.
- Paper form applications will no longer be accepted or processed, this revised process has been developed to accomplish two results:
a) To increase the security factor in processing the background checks. The two companies used by NYSWYSA (Demosphere International and Choice Point/Volunteer Select) provide multiple layers of security that are far beyond the risk involved with sending in paper forms with personal data on them.
b) This process speeds up the processing of RM pass applications as it takes out several possible ’stops’ where forms may have been slowed in the past. The electronic processing is both faster and more secure than ever.
Some Important Notes on Digital Security
NYSWYSA currently uses Lexus-Nexus to provide the background checks. Lexus-Nexus is a recognized leader of technology and database management for the legal, risk management, corporate, government, law enforcement, accounting, and academic markets.
The background check investigation process was designed with utmost security of personally identifying information in mind. The objective is to never expose it to any person, other than the person who already knows the information.
When a coach or other adult is designated as needing a background check, an email is generated and sent to the person with a link and a pin number. The link is for the adult to provide the information over a secure form. The form always starts out blank, so the relative strength of this pin number is not crucial. In no case can the user of the pin number discover the personally identifying information like SSN or drivers license, because the form is always presented with blank input fields.
The data on the form is encrypted and sent over the secure SSL connection from the person’s browser to the server, and stored in the database in encrypted form. When an administrator using the system in the state office brings up the information about an adult , certain common identifying information is displayed, such as name, address, birthdate, however no sensitive information is displayed to the admin user such as SSN or drivers license number.
When the background check investigation is requested by the admin user, the necessary information is sent to the background check company by an automated, secure, encrypted channel. This info is never seen or handled by a person.The NYW Office will provide as much assistance as needed to make the change to this new process as easy as possible for all clubs.
Amy Gush, Executive Director