All new format planned for State Cup
The format of the Snickers NYSWYSA Championships is changing. Beginning with the 2003 season, state championship play in NYSWYSA will no longer include the U-12 age group. Play will start with U-13's. This is in keeping with the adopted state-wide policy to keep younger age groups playing small sided games and out of high level competitions until the players are older. To enter the U-13 age group, the roster must contain 50% +1 U-13 age appropriate players (players born between August 1, 1989 and July 31, 1990).
Beginning this season, there will no longer be district playoffs. There will be a blind draw of all teams by age group and gender, to determine the placement of all competitors. Once drawn, they will play a single game knock out round to advance to the final 4 (or less) weekend. The finals weekend in all age groups will be conducted in round robin format with four teams maximum.
The Blind Draw
The previous year's state cup, regional, or national champion will be given the #1 position in the bracket provided their current season roster contains at least 11 players from the previous year. Otherwise the #1 position will be determined at the blind draw. The previous year's champion will only get 1 automatic bye (1st round only), provided the number of entries in their age group allows for a bye.
- 4 entries or less - all teams advance straight through to the finals weekend
- 5 entries - 1 play-down game, blind draw entries 1, 2, 3 get a bye, while 4 & 5 must play-down
- 6 entries - 2 play-down games, blind draw entries 1, 2, get a bye, 3 vs 4 and 5 vs 6 in play-downs
- 7 entries - 3 play-down games, blind draw entry 1 gets a bye, 2 vs 3, 4 vs 5, 6 vs 7 in play-downs
- 8 entries - 4 play-down games, 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, 5 vs 6, 7 vs 8 in play-downs
- 9 entries - 5 play-down games, blind draw entry 1 get a bye, 2 vs 3, 4 vs 5, 6 vs 7, 8 vs 9, after this knock out round, all teams are put back into a blind draw and the 5 entry format will be followed.
All paperwork must go to the state office to the attention of the State Cup Director. No paperwork or entries will be submitted through the District Commissioners.
Entry deadline - all entries must be sent to the state office and must be postmarked no later than March 1, 2003.
Roster deadline - for previous year state, regional, or national champions wishing to claim the #1 berth in the blind draw, 2003 certified rosters are due to the state office and must be postmarked no later than April 1, 2003.
Blind Draw Date - the blind draw is scheduled to be held in Corning, NY at 12 Noon on April 6, 2003, team representatives are encouraged to be present. The site in Corning of the draw will be announced later.
Entry Fee - $325.00 plus any referee fees for preliminary round matches. Teams must pay the preliminary round referee fees on the fields.
Finals Weekend - State Cup finals weekend will be at the West Seneca, NY soccer complex and will be held on May 31-June 1, 2003.